A trigger spray head developed by Berry Global for its…
The UK government’s Industrial Strategy Challenge Fund Smart Sustainable Plastic Packaging Challenge seeks to significantly reduce plastic waste by 2025. As such it has up to £60 million to invest in projects that aim to make the UK a leader in smart and sustainable plastic packaging.
The competition will support ideas that help to meet the targets of the UK Plastics Pact, which include for 100% of plastic packaging to be reusable, recyclable or compostable.
Projects could be as diverse as:
- Packaging suitable for reuse, refill and online delivery.
- Marking and tracking of packaging to improve supply chain circularity or sustainability.
- Films and flexibles in packaging applications.
- Low-carbon, non-fossil polymers for packaging applications.
- Business models leading to reduced waste plastic going to landfill.
- Behaviour change leading to less packaging waste or higher recycling rates.
- Food grade plastic packaging in the UK marketplace.
- Diverting small format and medical packaging from incineration.
The deadline for applications is at 11 am on 20th January 2021.Businesses of any size, non-government bodies, charities and not-for-profits can apply and can work alone or with other organisations and researchers. Grants could range in size between £50,000 and £150,000, and projects can last up to 18 months.
A briefing event takes place on 3rd November 2020.
Find more information on the competition here.